Watch Patient Stories
Why should I get dental implants?
You should consider dental implants if you are looking for a permanent, healthy, and cost-effective solution for replacing your missing or failing teeth. Dental implants are one of the most popular tooth replacement options available today because they look, feel, and function just like natural teeth. In addition, no other tooth replacement option prevents the destructive bone deterioration that can occur from tooth loss — this means that like natural teeth, dental implants preserve the condition of your oral health. If you are looking for a solution to restore your smile, we offer the full scope of dental implant procedures at Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center in Albuquerque, NM.
Dr. Gregory McGee has placed thousands of dental implants and truly enjoys bringing healthy smiles back to his patients from all over Albuquerque and the surrounding communities. Click here to learn more about these advanced tooth restoration options.
How do dental implants work?
Dental implants are the number one treatment option for the replacement of missing teeth. With this innovative three-part tooth restoration option, you can completely and permanently replace one or many teeth. The three parts of a dental implant are
- The post (or screw), which replaces your natural tooth’s root — it is made of medical-grade titanium which is an entirely biocompatible material that fuses with your jaw bone during healing
- The abutment, which connects the post to your new replacement tooth (or teeth)
- The crown, which is custom designed by your restorative dentist to match your natural teeth
The strong bond between the implant post and the surrounding bone creates a secure foundation for a single tooth crown, a multi-tooth bridge, or in some cases, even a full fixed denture. Click here to learn more about dental implant placement at our office in Albuquerque, NM.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants are designed to work just like your natural teeth, so they are permanent and stable with no removable parts. With proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime. No other tooth replacement option has such a high long-term success rate.
Dental implants allow patients to eat the foods they love and smile with confidence again. In fact, many patients find that over time they forget which teeth are real and which are implants! A few of the benefits you can expect to receive when you have your dental implants placed by the team at Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center are
- A permanent tooth loss solution, unlike bridges and dentures, which must be replaced after several years of use
- The strength and stability to eat and/or drink as you please without discomfort or embarrassment
- A beautiful, natural-looking new smile and boosted self-confidence
- Prevention of bone loss associated with missing teeth
- No inconvenient and unsightly removable parts
Dental implants are a very popular tooth restoration solution because they provide you with a beautiful new smile as well as prevent the bone loss that occurs when teeth are missing for an extended period. Plus, most people are candidates for dental implants — in general, if patients are healthy enough to undergo a minor dental procedure, such as a tooth extraction, they will be able to receive dental implants.
Dr. Gregory McGee is passionate about providing safe, quality care to his patients and stays up to date with the latest advancements made in implant dentistry. These developments allow our team to place your implants successfully and comfortably, restoring your smile for years to come. Our staff in Albuquerque, NM, is excited to care for you and schedule an initial consultation to review your dental implant needs.
Cost of Dental Implants
Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center offers dental implants at costs that are competitive for the Albuquerque, NM region. Our goal is to provide the highest quality of care possible at prices that are remain fair. For your convenience, we accept several different payment methods and financing options.
Dental implants add an incredible amount of value to the lives of our patients. When considering dental implants, we like to remind our patients that not only can implants last a lifetime, but they help preserve your oral health and prevent issues that might require costly dental treatments down the line. Below are a few of the reasons dental implants are a valuable investment:
- Because dental implants are permanent, they prevent dental shifting, bone loss, and other dental problems, eliminating the need for future orthodontic or other treatments.
- Unlike dentures and fixed bridges which may require replacement after several years, if properly cared for through regular dental visits and excellent oral hygiene habits, your implants can last a lifetime.
- Dental implants allow you to eat, speak, and smile confidently, improving your quality of life.
The best way to find out the price of your procedure is to have a consultation with an experienced oral and maxillofacial surgeon such as Dr. McGee. The friendly staff at Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Centerwill be happy to give you an estimate of your costs after Dr. McGee has fully reviewed your condition. Click here to learn more about the value of having your dental implants placed at Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center.
Dental Implant Procedure Process
Each patient is unique, and your exact treatment plan will depend on the number of implants being placed, the amount of bone beneath the gums, and if you will require any additional procedures like tooth extractions. The general process of receiving dental implants at our practice in Albuquerque, NM, will involve two or three visits to the office over a few weeks or months. Your oral surgeon and your dentist will work as a team to place your dental implants and complete the final restoration.
Usually, the entire process goes as follows:
- Consultation. During your consultation appointment with Dr. McGee, your condition will be reviewed, a personalized treatment plan will be formed including your anesthesia choice, and imaging such as 3D scans will be taken to create custom surgical guides for your procedure.
- Surgery. During your initial surgery procedure, once your chosen anesthesia has taken effect, the doctor will place the dental implant post in the bone beneath your gums. If you chose IV sedation, you will sleep comfortably during the procedure. After the surgery, the surgical site will be stitched, and you will rest and recover.
- Recovery. After your dental implant is placed, there will be a three- to four-month healing period while the fusion of the implant in the jaw bone becomes strong enough to endure the pressure of chewing hard foods. Most patients are back to their regular routines after a couple of weeks. Your dentist may make a temporary crown for you to wear during the healing period.
- Abutment and Crown Placement. Once your implant sites have healed sufficiently and the implant posts are securely fused with the bone in your jaw, your oral surgeon can place the abutments. The abutments connect your new custom-made crowns to your implants. Your new smile will now be complete!
Dr. Gregory McGee and the staff at Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center are experts at dental implant treatments. We look forward to scheduling your initial consultation where we will discuss your restoration goals and lay out a plan to restore your oral health and smile. Click here to learn more about the dental implant procedure at our practice in Albuquerque, NM.
Bone Grafting for Dental Implants
Bone loss in the jaw can occur for several reasons and can lead to difficulty when placing dental implants. If your doctor discovers that you require restoration of lost bone to prepare you for dental implants, you will require a bone grafting procedure. The type of bone grafting procedure you receive will depend on your condition and the location of the bone loss. When you receive a bone graft, bone graft material is taken either from the bone in your body or a tissue bank. Your oral surgeon will place the material in areas that are lacking in bone density, along with a special gel that is rich in natural growth factors — these growth factors promote healing and allow your body to restore the lost bone. Some of the most common bone grafting procedures we offer at Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center include the following:
- Socket preservation prevents rapid bone loss from occurring around an empty tooth socket. After a tooth extraction, bone graft material is placed into the empty socket to prepare the patient for a dental implant procedure.
- Sinus lifts make space for dental implants to replace your upper back teeth. The wall that separates the sinuses from the upper teeth can be thin in some cases and lifting the sinus by placing a bone graft beneath it makes a safe and secure dental implant procedure possible.
- Ridge expansion widens the bony ridge that holds your teeth in place. When tooth loss occurs, this bone can become too thin to hold dental implants securely. Ridge expansions increase the amount of bone around the alveolar ridge to make a strong foundation for your dental implants.
- Nerve repositioning is a less common procedure that is sometimes used to prevent nerve damage. The inferior alveolar nerve, which gives sensation to the chin and lower jaw, lies beneath your lower molars. If the bone above the nerve is too sparse to place an implant without damaging this nerve, your oral surgeon may be able to move this nerve aside using a unique bone graft procedure.
The excellent news is that your new dental implants will stimulate the bone beneath your gums just like the roots of your natural teeth which will prevent further bone loss from occurring. Click here to learn more about how Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center in Albuquerque, NM can help restore your lost bone and prepare you for dental implants, no matter what type of bone augmentation procedure you need.
Dental Implant FAQ
Am I a candidate for dental implants?
If you are healthy enough to undergo minor dental surgeries like tooth extractions, and you are interested in a healthy, permanent, and cost-effective solution to your missing or failing teeth, you may be a candidate for dental implants. Schedule an appointment with a skilled oral and maxillofacial surgeon like Dr. Gregory McGee at Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center to find out for certain if dental implants are right for you.
How long is the recovery period for dental implants?
Each patient’s recovery time will differ depending on their procedure and their body’s regenerative capabilities, but in general, dental implants take between three and six months to heal well enough for full chewing capability. Most patients are back to their normal routines just a few days after the procedure, although a diet of soft foods may be necessary for some time.
Will there be pain associated with dental implants?
One of the benefits of dental implants is that once your surgical sites have healed, your implants will feel nearly identical to your natural teeth, causing no discomfort whatsoever. While dental implant patients will experience some discomfort the first few days after surgery, your oral surgeon should provide you with a prescription for pain medication to relieve any discomfort.
Where can I find dental implants near me?
Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center offers high-quality dental implant procedures from the comfort of our surgical suite in Albuquerque, NM.
If you have other questions about dental implant procedures, the recovery period, or any of the other procedures we offer, feel free to contact our Albuquerque, NM office or click here for more information.
Dental Implant Instructions
Thank you for trusting our surgeon, Gregory McGee, DMD, and the team at Rio Grande Oral Surgery & Dental Implant Center in Albuquerque, NM, with your dental implants. We encourage you to review our pre- and post-operative instructions before your procedure to make sure your recovery goes as smoothly as possible. Always feel free to contact us with questions — our friendly team is here to help you feel at ease about restoring your smile.
Dental Implants – Idaho Falls, ID
Dental Implant Cost
Tooth Replacement Options
Dental Implants – Idaho Falls, ID
Dental Implant Cost
Tooth Replacement Options